Mine Site Technologies (MST) is a global communications leader with 23 years of experience in the design, manufacture, deployment, service and support of critical, high quality, solutions for communications networks; including voice communications, vehicle and personnel tracking, production optimisation, and safety in underground and surface mining applications. We are also applying the experience and knowledge gained in creating products for use in the harsh and difficult environments of mining to create products that are purposed for use in demanding industrial environments as well. Founded in Australia in 1989 MST deployed the first commercially available PED (Personal Emergency Device) using TTE (Through the Earth) technology. Since that time MST has developed and expanded its suite of communications technologies to deliver total communication solutions. These technologies range from VDV Leaky Feeder Radio Systems to the newest Wi-Fi (IP) based ImPact “One Network” Digital System. Mine Site Technologies solutions are deployed at hundreds of mine sites around the world.
Our vision is to be the partner of choice for mining and industrial communications infrastructure, world-wide. We are accomplishing this through the creation of innovative fit-for-purpose network components and systems designed specifically for the various harsh environments.
Mine Site Technologies is dedicated to creating, supporting, and extending a safe working environment for its employees, customers and stakeholders, wherever they may operate in the world. We train our employees, design our products, operate our business, and support customer safety initiatives to create a global culture of safety.
Working on six continents, MST’s offices and support centers are strategically located in the world’s primary mining regions and continue to expand. Our global headquarters is located in Sydney, NSW, Australia, our Americas headquarters is located in Denver, Colorado, USA, and our China headquarters is located in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China.
We pride ourselves on providing the most technologically advanced mine communications systems available in the world today, and we design, manufacture, and support those products to the highest standards of workmanship and quality.
- 1989 – Mine Site Technologies founded in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 1990 – Deployed the first PED (Personal Emergency Device) using TTE (Through-The-Earth) technology. (PED remains the only commercially available and widely deployed TTE System.)
- 1992 – Automatic, air operated PP50 de-watering pump developed
- 1993 – PED wins Sydney University Warren Centre Award
- 1994 – PED wins Engineering Excellence Award
- 1995 – PP50 wins Engineering Excellence Award and the Energy Award from Department of Primary Industries
- 1996 – First BlastPED installation (Olympic Dam Mine)
- 1996 – First VDV Leaky Feeder Radio System installed
- 1997 – Kalgoorlie, Western Australia office opened.
- 1997 – First TRACKER Passive Tagging System installed
- 1998 – PED acknowledged for saving five lives in fire at Willow Creek Coal Mine, Utah.
- 1998 – Active RFID Tagging System development began
- 2000 – BlastPED ST developed for surface mines
- 2001 – Mt Isa, Queensland office opened
- 2002 – 100th PED System installed at McArthur River Mine, Queensland
- 2003 – Sudbury, Ontario, Canada office opened.
- 2004 – ICCL development commences. First ImPact Wi-Fi network installed in Montcalm Mine, Ontario, Canada
- 2005 – First ICCL installations
- 2006 – ICCL receives Australian Design Award
- 2007 – ImPact VIP and upgraded Wireless Network Switch released to market.
- 2008 – MST-China office in Hangzhou,
- 2009 – Elko, Nevada, USA office opened
- 2010 – Perth, Western Australia office opened
- 2011 – 500th technology installation completed
- 2011 – ICCL recognised by the Australian International Design Award organisation for the fit-for-purpose design
- 2011 – MinePhone and NS40 Wireless Access Point achieve ATEX certification, Group 1 Category M1
- 2011 PED and ICCL receive India Coal Mine I.S. (Intrinsically Safe) certification
- 2011 – Capital raising completed with Macquarie Capital.
- 2011 – Offices opened in:
- Denver, Colorado, USA
- Mackay, Queensland, Australia
- Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
- Evansville, Indiana, USA
- Bridgeville, Pennsylvania, USA
- Santiago, Chile
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- 2011 – Acquired Nixon Communications in Australia. Founded in 1977, Nixon provides innovative and effective communications solutions for customers in remote, non-remote and challenging environments in underground and surface mining as well as, long-line (pipeline), industrial, and municipal applications.
- 2012 – NS50 wireless network switch released
Our clients include the world’s leading mining and industrial companies which supply coal, copper, gold, silver, and a vast array of commodities to the global markets. These organisations acknowledge Mine Site Technologies’ ability to deliver total mining purposed communication and tracking solutions for increased productivity and safety. These customers have realised the commitment that Mine Site Technologies has made to them in providing a communications solution which is fully supported by the global leader in the design, manufacture, deployment and support of critical communications networks.
Where We Are
- Sydney, NSW – World Headquarters
- Kalgoorlie, WA
- Mt Isa, QLD
- Mackay, QLD
- Perth, WA
- Adelaide, SA (Olympic Dam)
- Sudbury, ONT
- Mississauga, ONT
- Denver, Colorado (USA Headquarters)
- Grand Junction, Colorado
- Elko, Nevada
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Evansville, Indiana
- Support offices in Utah and West Virginia
Nixon Communications is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mine Site Technologies providing innovative and effective communications solutions in remote and non-remote environments to the mining, oil and gas, remote construction and Coal Seam Gas sectors
Additional information regarding Mine Site Technologies global offices is available in the Contact Us section.
Our Work Ethic
A philosophy of Best Practice pervades our approach to and is demonstrated in our product development, manufacturing, customer service and support. In the words of our Mission Statement:
“We Enable Safe Production” – MST will be an essential part of our customers’ businesses by providing them information and communication solutions and services which support their productivity and safety.
Our significant “One Network” solutions for the mining industry include:
- ImPact – Underground Digital Communications and Tracking System (IEEE 802.11b/g, 802.11i, 802.11e)
- Tracking Systems – Personnel and vehicle tracking
- VIP – Vehicle Intelligence Platform: real-time vehicle diagnostics and payload data system
- VDV – Leaky Feeder Radio System
- Wireless “Breadcrumb” Mobile Mesh – High bandwidth mobile networks; underground and surface
- ICCL – Integrated Communications Cap Lamp
- MinePhone – Intrinsically safe mine purposed VoIP wireless communications from any area of a mine covered by a wireless IP network (including underground to surface)
- PED – Personal Emergency Device: TTE (Through-The-Earth) emergency and general communications system
- BlastPED – Remote blast initiation system using the PED transmission system
Mine Site Technologies has been the recipient of numerous awards including two National Energy Awards from the Australian Department of Primary Industries and Energy, two Awards of Excellence from the Institute of Engineers (Australia) and two Design Institute Awards (Australia).
Mine Site Technologies is considered to be the global leader in the design, manufacture, deployment, service and support of high quality network solutions for critical communications applications. To provide our global customers with a total solution for all of their communication needs we have strategically partnered with several premier global and regional manufacturers of communications components which support our ability to provide our customers with One Network solutions. Some of the components include mesh network devices and handheld radios. For a list of Our Partners click Here.