Braves the environment, Reaches the world
For over 23 years Mine Site Technologies has designed, manufactured, deployed, and supported communications equipment for some of the most demanding environments found in the world. We have leveraged that experience to create products for use in the harshest, most challenging Oil & Gas / Industrial environments. An example, BlastPED is a natural extension of a product originally developed for mining that can be applied to construction and site development applications. Proximity detection is an important safety tool in any areas where there is any human and machine interface. VoIP telephony is a particular area of our expertise as is long-line and mobile communication systems. Our products support “improved productivity – safely” in whatever environment they are applied. In addition, we have and will continue to expand our O&G/Industrial solutions through the acquisition of companies specialising in providing communication solutions to those industries.
Mine Site Technologies (MST) and our subsidiary Nixon Communications offers turnkey solutions for “long line” communication requirements. This service is ideal for construction and maintenance of pipelines, railroads and other projects where clear radio and data communications are required. MST is experienced in surveying the target alignment, designing the system, deploying towers and fixed/mobile equipment, and commissioning. MST will also support the on-going operation of the system by providing technical support and on-site repairs and maintenance. In addition to voice communications, MST can rapidly deploy a suite of communications services such as internet, TV, and camp communications to support construction crews in remote locations.
The key advantages of using the MST service are:
- Fast design and deployment through a uniquely designed tower system
- A one-stop communications service from voice through to TV and internet
- Little or no capital outlay through easy monthly operational invoices
- Fast demobilisation when the service is no longer required, quickly reducing operating expenditures
MST’s field technicians are experienced in dealing with the most difficult terrain and sites with poor access, with the communication system lending itself to deployment in such areas.
The MST solution provides seamless communications services right along the pipeline alignment, allowing the construction crews to focus on building the pipeline in the fastest and safest possible manner.
The Pipeline System
The communication system is ideal for construction work, using either single repeater or multiple repeaters for pipeline, roadway or general construction where continuous communication may be required for up to 600 miles. MST has 30 years of experience in deploying, commissioning, maintaining and demobilising these systems
The system consists of:
- Transportable repeater stations
- Self-contained, solar powered trailer units
- Tower sections assembled on site
- Each repeater site operational in less than 3 hours
- Provides clear, reliable communications
- Project management of deployment
- Communications Huts where other services (internet, video, etc.) are required.
Survey and Design
To deploy the system, the site alignment is required and topographic data determined from surveyors. This is typically estimated for the initial system design and then an on-site survey is performed to optimise the design and select the best “high-points” along the easement. A radio coverage map is then calculated and presented for approval, showing the range of the system for both portable and mobile radios. A typical coverage map showing a 350 mile pipeline is shown on the left.
When accessing remote sites mobility is a key factor in a successful deployment. The MST tower system is highly mobile allowing rapid access to difficult sites that would otherwise be difficult and expensive to deploy.
Completed towers with solar trailer and radio equipment installed.
In addition to the voice communications for the construction crews, MST can supply and maintain a full range of camp communications systems. MST will custom design and assemble to site requirements. In most cases a system can be up and running in one day. Satellite base stations can be provided where a microwave link or fibre is not available.
MST’s subsidiary, Nixon Communications, has been deploying these services for over more than 20 years. Some of those key projects include:
• 2011-12 – McConnell Dowell and Construction Consortium Company Queensland Curtis Liquid Natural Gas Joint Venture MC-QCLNG-JV
• 2008 – AJ LUCAS- BGP
• 2009/2010- McConnell Dowel DBNGP5B
• 2009 – QGC
• 2011/2012- MC-QCLNG-JV Narrows Crossing
• 1989 – Roma to Gladstone Pipeline (Saipem)
• Ballera to Mt Isa Pipeline
• Century to Karumba Slurry Pipeline
• Eromanga Gas Project
• SW Queensland Pipeline
• QSN3 pipeline
• MCJV pipeline
New South Wales
• Longford to Sydney Pipeline
• Moomba to Sydney Pipeline
• Marsden to Dubbo Pipeline
• Wodonga to Wagga Wagga Pipeline
• Carisbrook to Horsham Pipeline
• Iona to Lara Pipeline
• SEA Gas Pipeline
• Roxby Downs Water Pipeline
• Kambalda to Esperance Pipeline
• Murrin Murrin Pipeline
• Karratha to Port Hedland Pipeline
• Port Hedland to Telfer Gas Pipeline
• Nacap – Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline DBNGP4
• Saipem- DBNGP5A
• Tasmania Natural Gas Pipeline
Northern Territory and ACT
• Alice Springs to Darwin Rail
• Canberra Mains